Armed Robber Handed Ten Year Prison Sentence

5th May 2016

An armed robber has been jailed for 10 years following a spate of attacks on convenience stores in Dagenham and Romford.

Arvydas Filipavicius, 40 (1.09.75), a Lithuanian national of Station Parade, Dagenham, carried out three robberies and an attempted robbery in the space of a week, threatening staff with a BB gun to steal cash.

His spree came to an end after he was detained by two brave members of the public.

Detective Constable Barry Rowe, from the Flying Squad, said: "Filipavicius carried out a short but terrifying spate of robberies, targeting mainly Lithuanian convenience stores with female or young members of staff. They had no idea the gun he was wielding was not real and were put through a horrible ordeal.

"I would like to commend the brave members of the public who intervened and detained Filipavicius until police arrived. It is largely thanks to them that he is serving a lengthy jail term."

Filipavicius's first robbery took place at Mixas convenience store in North Street, Romford, on Saturday, 26 March. He produced a silver handgun - later found to be a BB pellet gun - and threatened the female cashier, forcing her to hand over £1,000.

Two days later, on Monday, 28 March at 2.35pm, Filipavicius entered Vida and Sons in Porters Avenue, Dagenham. He told the female member of staff he would shoot her in the leg if she didn't hand over cash. He made off with £230.

On Wednesday, 30 March at 9pm, Filipavicius carried out his third robbery at Hunters convenience store in Wood Lane, Dagenham. He pointed his gun at the 17-year-old male shop assistant and got away with £230.

The attempted robbery took place on Thursday, 31 March at 7pm at Nevezis 2, Wood Lane, Dagenham.

The female shop assistant tried to leave as Filipavicius entered, concerned by his hooded appearance. He then produced his gun and forced her back into the shop, threatening to shoot if she did not hand over money.

The victim became hysterical, screaming, and ran from the shop. Two male passers-by saw what was happening and grabbed Filipavicius, while the victim called police.

Officers attended and arrested him.

Filipavicius appeared at Snaresbrook Crown Court on Tuesday, 3 May where he pleaded guilty and was imprisoned.



news Archive

NABIS database