CCTV Issued After Series Of Armed Robberies
3rd September 2015
Detectives investigating a series of armed robberies at south London betting shops and banks have today, Thursday, 3 September, released CCTV footage of a man they want to speak to in connection with the offences.
Over the last month, more than a dozen armed robberies have taken place across Lewisham, Greenwich and Bromley. Police believe the same man is responsible for all 13 offences.
The most recent incident took place at a William Hill bookmaker in Lewisham on Wednesday, 2 September.
Investigating officer, Detective Constable Shona Wilkinson of the Met's Flying Squad, said: "During each of the robberies, the suspect loitered outside or inside the premises, seemingly waiting for it to become less busy.
"He then walked up to the counter and pointed what appeared to be a black, self-loading pistol at the cashiers, before demanding money.
"In some cases he threatened to shoot staff. During a robbery at HSBC in Lewisham, he grabbed an employee, pointed the gun at them and demanded cash from the victim's colleagues."
The suspect is described as black with close cropped hair, a moustache and a small scar or marks on the right hand side of his face. He is described as being in his late 20s or early 30s and has a London accent.
He is believed to have stolen a total of approximately £4,000 during the robberies.
A list of the robberies is as follows:
- Paddypower, Deptford High Street, Lewisham, at approximately 09:45hrs on Saturday, 1 August;
- HSBC, Deptford High Street, Lewisham, at approximately 09:40hrs on Wednesday, 5 August;
- Betfred, McLeod Road, Abbeywood, Greenwich, at approximately 12:40hrs on Friday, 7 August;
- Paddypower, Thames Reach, Greenwich, at approximately 09:10hrs on Tuesday, 11 August;
- Corals, Charlton Road, Greenwich, at approximately 09;35hrs on Tuesday, 11 August;
- Corals, Evelyn Street, Lewisham at approximately 14:10hrs on Monday, 17 August;
- William Hill, The Parade, Croydon Road, Bromley, at approximately 11:40hrs on Friday, 21 August;
- Jennings Bet, Evelyn Street, Lewisham at approximately 18:45hrs on Sunday, 23 August;
- Corals, Brockley Rise, Lewisham at approximately 09:40hrs on Wednesday, 26 August;
- Ladbrokes, Burnt Ash Road, Lewisham at approximately 10:05hrs on Wednesday, 26 August;
- Corals, Evelyn Street, Lewisham, at approximately 11:00hrs on Sunday, 30 August;
- William Hill, Mantle Road, Lewisham at approximately 19:30hrs on Tuesday, 1 September;
- William Hill, Deptford High Street, Lewisham at approximately 20:00hrs on Wednesday, 2 September.
Anyone with information is asked to contact DC Wilkinson at the Flying Squad on 07789 652 826 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
No arrests, enquiries continue.