Gunmen Sentenced To Ten Years Behind Bars

13th August 2015

A man who forced his way into his ex-partner's address in Croydon with his friend, who shot the two occupants, has been jailed.

Jarrell Francis, 22 (29.11.92) of Stockwell Park Road, SW9 was jailed for 10 years on Wednesday, 12 August at Croydon Crown Court, having previously pleaded guilty to two counts of grievous bodily harm with intent and possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life.

Zarak McKoy, 24 (14.07.91) of Hambrook Road, SE25 was jailed for life, to serve a minimum of 10 years, on Friday, 20 March at Croydon Crown Court after being found guilty of two counts of grievous bodily harm with intent and possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life following a five week trial.

Police were called at around 03:00hrs on 6 July 2014 following a report of shots fired at an address on Kingsdown Avenue, Croydon.

Officers and London Ambulance Service attended the scene and found a 19-year-old man and a 20-year-old woman both suffering from gunshot injuries.

Detectives from Trident were able to establish that Francis had attended the address of his ex-partner along with McKoy.

The victim had heard a knock at her front door earlier that morning from a person known to her and, in fear of her safety, she refused to let him in with a heated argument taking place through the locked front door.

The person left the scene but a short while later Francis and McKoy returned armed with a firearm, a converted Baikal IZH-79 self-loading pistol, and forced their way into the address, entering one of the bedrooms and shooting the victim along with her boyfriend before fleeing the scene.

McKoy and Francis were quickly identified as being involved in the shooting. McKoy was traced to an address in Mitcham where he was arrested by officers on 16 July 2014. Francis was arrested on Wednesday, 8 April at an address in Nunhead.

Detective Constable Peter Whibley, of the Trident and Area Crime Command, said: "I am pleased that Francis and McKoy have both been jailed for a significant period of time.

"They both went out that morning intent on causing fear and intimidation and when the victim did not open the door, they forced their way into the address and without hesitation repeatedly shot the victim and her boyfriend. The injuries that both victims received were significant. Between them they received 16 gunshot wounds. It is sheer luck that they survived these injuries."

news Archive

NABIS database