Renewed Murder Appeal With Reward
5th April 2017
Detectives have launched a fresh appeal for information about the murder of Anton Hyman in Ealing 13 years ago, with a £20,000 reward on offer.
The 17-year-old's body was found in the River Brent, W7 at around 11:10hrs on 21 March 2004 - Mother's Day.
Anton, who lived with his family in Acton, had been stabbed multiple times and shot in the back.
Anton's last movements were captured on CCTV at about 20:00hrs on Saturday, 20 March 2004, and detectives believe that he was killed that evening.
Someone answered a call from Anton's phone that evening, at a time when officers think Anton would have already been dead, but efforts to trace that person have been unsuccessful.
He was last seen between Greenford Avenue and Brent Valley Park in Hanwell.
Anton was black, 5ft 6in and of slim build. On the evening police believe he died, he was wearing distinctive bright multi-coloured gloves, blue and white Timberland boots, dark jeans, dark grey fleece, a green t-shirt and a green shirt with "Iceberg" written on the breast pocket. Nine men and one woman have been arrested in connection with the murder, but all were released with no further action taken.
Officers have carried out extensive enquiries, examining CCTV to track Anton's movements and speaking to many witnesses as well as launching numerous public appeals for information in the years since Anton's death, but to date no one has been charged in connection with the murder.
Detectives believe that there are witnesses and friends who have important information that would lead to a breakthrough in the case.
A new £20,000 reward is available for anyone who provides information that leads to the arrest and conviction of the person responsible for Anton's death.
Vanessa Hyman, Anton's mother, said: "Mother's Day, Sunday 21st March 2004, should have been a happy time with my family. Police knocked on my door to tell me my 17-year-old son Anton had been murdered. He had been shot, beaten and stabbed.
"Thirteen years on and still the killers of Anton have not been identified and brought to justice.
"Anton has a little sister; she was only six-years-old when she lost her brother. The innocence of her childhood was taken away. The lives of our family changed forever. We need answers, we need to know what happened but most of all we need justice for Anton.
"Somebody must know who killed Anton; somebody must have noticed something, seen something or heard something. There seems to be a wall of silence around his killers.
"Anton is dearly missed by his family and friends. We appeal to anyone who has information to please come forward."
DI David Bolton of the Met's Homicide and Major Crime Command said: "Thirteen years have now passed since Anton's tragic death, but someone somewhere undoubtedly knows who was responsible for this callous murder and has chosen not to come forward.
"It happened a long time ago, but I am certain that there are people in the local area who remember Anton's murder, and know what happened.
"If you have any information, no matter how insignificant you think it might be, please come forward. It may be that you didn't contact police at the time due to loyalties or fear of repercussions. We would urge you to do the right things and tell us what you know, safe in the knowledge that the information will be treated with the strictest confidence, so we can gain justice for Anton's family."Anyone with information is asked to call the Incident Room on 020 8785 8244 or if you don't want to give your name call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
NABIS in the news
Many Firearms Already Handed In During Gun Surrender 21st November 2017Continue Reading