Two Men Jailed After Attempt Murder In Enfield

9th April 2015

Two men who conspired with a 'hitman' to carry out a gang assassination have been jailed for attempted murder after a re-trial at the Old Bailey.

Christopher Annan and Tyrone Wright were hired by one north London gang to assassinate a rival as part of a long-running feud.

They were convicted on Wednesday, 8 April, of the attempted murder of Inan Eren in Forest Road, Enfield, on 30 December 2012

Christopher Annan, 24, (13.10.90), of Denham Road, N20 was jailed on 8 April for 24 years plus an extended five years

Tyrone Wright, 20, (14.6.94), of Lea Bridge Road, E10 was jailed for 20 years.

Inan Eren is the cousin of Zafer Eren, who was murdered in April 2013 by 'hitman' Jamie Marsh-Smith. Marsh-Smith was convicted of his murder at the Old Bailey in July 2013.

The successful convictions follow investigations by detectives from the Homicide and Major Crime Command and the Trident Gang Crime Command.

The court heard that the attempted murder of Inan Eren, and the murder of his cousin, were part of, and followed, a long running feud between members of two gangs, the Tottenham Turks (a.k.a. Tottenham Boys) and the Hackney Turks (a.k.a. Bombacilar) resulting in a number of shootings and attacks.

Annan and Wright, like Marsh-Smith, were not members of either gang but were employed by the Hackney Turks to carry out 'hits' on members of the Eren family who led the Tottenham Turks.

On 30 December 2012, Marsh-Smith, Annan and Wright lay in wait for Inan Eren as he returned to his home in Forest Road, Enfield. The gunman (Marsh-Smith) approached from the middle of the road and fired at Inan. The first shot missed, hitting a window and showering his wife with glass. More shots were fired as the gunman approached Inan to within an arm's length before escaping in a car.

Inan was hit three times - in the arm, leg and stomach - but he escaped to a nearby convenience store on Herford Road where his wife found him and he went to hospital and survived the attack.

The car believed to have been used for the getaway was later discovered on fire, not far from Marsh-Smith's address. Items recovered from it indicated its use by Marsh-Smith, Annan and Wright.

Detective Chief Inspector Noel McHugh, the senior investigating officer from the Homicide and Serious Crime Command, said:

"Annan and Wright conspired with Marsh-Smith and accepted a contract on Inan's life. The sad reality being they wouldn't even have been paid much money for their part in the attempt to murder him. They were motivated by money and had no dispute with their victim.

"These are professional and dangerous criminals, but through extensive and painstaking detective work we were able to piece together the evidence that has resulted in them being sent to prison for lengthy sentences.

"The conviction of Annan and Wright means that the dangerous and violent criminal syndicate they were part of has now been sentenced to over 119 years in prison."

Annan was arrested on 4 September 2013 and Wright was subsequently arrested on 21 November 2013. All three were charged soon after their respective arrests.

Jamie Marsh-Smith, 23 (14.6.91), of no fixed address, was jailed on 13 July 2014 for 38 years for:

Count 1 - Attempted murder of Inan Eren

Count 2 - Murder of Zafer Eren

Count 3 - Attempted murder of Samuel Zeirei

Samuel Zerei, 22 (28.10.92), of Hathersage Court, Newington Green N1, was jailed for 28 years for:

Count 2 - Murder of Zafer Eren

Wayne McNeish, 34 (18.11.80), of West End Lane, NW6, was jailed for four-and-a-half years for:

Count 4 - perverting the course of justice

news Archive

NABIS database